Employer scam on Freelancing sites
People, who do a freelancing on famous websites like upwork.com, freelancer.com or alike, might come across to an employer, who will make much troubles to freelancer and finally, the freelancer will regret at all, that he made an agreement with such employer.
Common symptoms of undesired employer
- Requiring more work than agreed.
- Requiring things that is not doable.
- Asking to do a Free work before he/she is hired.
- Promising to pay, and after delivery of task, employer disappears ( Although, same thing may be done by a scammer-freelancer, after getting the money… but in this topic I wont discuss freelancer behaviours)
- Making things as freelancer spend much time before he is hired, but after that employer suddenly blocks freelancer without sending any notice to freelancer.
Common characteristics of a “bad” employer
Such list of employers could be hard to determine, but we might think and say some specific characteristics of such persons. To discuss by country-based specifics, I had terrible experience with Indian “employers” (in many cases, they are individual freelancers, posting their tasks for outsourcing, because they don’t know how to do the tasks that were awarded to them by other employer). To discuss by religious sign, the worst experience I had, were with muslim employers. I had felt, that other people are not more than animal in such employer’s sight.
Of course, there are undesired partners from other countries as well and different kind of cheaters. I myself have been involved in such situations, and in the future I will avoid specific employers. I’ll try to never work again with such people, or if I’ll do, then I’ll clarify every detail, and force such employer to make an official agreement before work is started. Also, before you start some work with them, you can also try to search some info about them.