1) How to Register: Read this;
2) Import study/strategy – Read this;
b) To import study, click CTRL+E somewhere on the chart, then click STRATEGIES(or STUDIES) tab, and click IMPORT. after successfully imported, find the script in the alphabetical list.
3) Add/Edit Studies Read this;
On the left list (under “STUDIES” tab), click NEW .
p.s. in “Strategies” tab, you can add strategies
the only difference between STRATEGY and STUDY is that in STRATEGY you can execute “trades/orders” (but they are not real orders, but only backtesting orders)…. if you dont want trades,but just indicators, then use “STUDY”.
Name the indicator (for example) AAATEST, then insert the code (copy them from this image). Also, click “OPTIONS” and disable checkboxes. Then click “APPLY” (or OK).
4) change study’s inputs Read this;
– to change parameter values, right mouse click on the study name, and “EDIT PROPERTIES”.
– to change source code – “EDIT SOURCE”.
5) Difference between: STUDY (for CHART) || STUDY FILTER || STUDY ALERT || CUSTOM COLUMN Read this;
in addition to CHARTS, custom indicators (also called “script” or “study”) can be used in:
– SCAN tab (for this, 2 different tools exist: CUSTOM COLUMN and STUDY FILTER )
– MarketWatch tab ( there is only CUSTOM COLUMN available)
a) with “ADD STUDY FILTER” button ,
you can utilize custom script (or some built-in conditions). that means: show only the SYMBOLS, that meet indicator’s criterias – only those symbols will be listed. (However, it has very limited coding opportunities
i.e. Secondary Timeframe Data is not allowed)
b) with “custom COLUMN” (supports a bit more coding opportunities
you just add another column (into the existing list of symbols, and that list may be already filtered by you), and in that column, you can show different WORDS/NUMBERS (coloured) according to your conditions. (the only one lack is, that custom “COLUMNS” can be applied only to max.200-1000 symbols from list.. otherwise, it may give incorrect results due to DATA FEED& calculation problems).
c) STUDY ALERTS are most limited for coding.. it allows simple criterias . i.e. :
alerts when: RSI(10) crosses MovingAverage(15) or etc…
6) (How to) insert script in “CUSTOM COLUMN” Read this;
7) (How to) Hide any PLOT Read this;
9) (How to) Display Databox Read this;
10) (How to) use “ADD FILTER” Read this;
3) click ADD STUDY FILTER and choose CUSTOM
4) click DELETE (or select all text and delete) and then ADD CONDITON
5) choose STUDY and select the imported INDICATOR(study).
6) select the desired values (and choose “is true”, and “within” numbers as much as you want…p.s. “within” 1 means that the condition should be happening during last 1 bar(so, on the last bar).. if you choose 5, then it means, that the condition should have happened during last 5 bars (at least,once)…
7) click SAVE and click SCAN..
Now, you will get the list of symbols, that are filtered by your command.
11) (How to) get MAILS/SMS on alert Read this;
if you want to get EMAIL(or SMS) when “ALERT” triggers, at first set up alerts:
1) Right click on a chart, and choose:
and choose desired STUDY name, and click OK, (then you can modify some parameters), and click CREATE:
Your alert is set up now! Now, You can see your all alerts in “MarketWatch>Alerts” tab.
(Now, if you havent done this already: go to SETUP>APP SETTINGS>NOTIFICATIONS> there enter you mail and make it confirmed… after that, you will be mailed when ALERT happens:
12) Other info Read this;
About this topic
Reason for opening and listing my quick notes and tips how to do this or that, is caused, because in most cases, when coder does first task and sends it to a client, he may not be able to do specific action in TOS, becuase he may not be familiar with ThinkScript and it could be the first steps when he is setting up a script or scanner. So, I’ve made up a quick (however, needs some more work) tips about “how to import script”, “how to setup Study Alert” and such basic things. Just spend 5 minutes and look throught those “How To”s and you will easily remember very useful tips.